March 14, 2011
I have met
this morning with both our emergency team and our leadership team about
the logistical challenges facing us in order to open up school for the
remainder of the week. We have decided that there are simply too many
unknowns at this time to hold classes this week, and we have decided to
close school until after spring break.
There are, however, two
important caveats to our closing. First, we want to be clear that we
are not closing because of any fear factor. We feel safe, and if we had
better understandings of how we could operate with the power outages
and what kind of consistency we could expect from public transportation,
we would be open. These are the things we will need to figure out
during this time out of school.
We are, however, going to
continue with school on a very basic level. I have asked all teachers
to contact their students, and our teachers over the next two days will
be contacting students about virtual assignments for them to complete
during their absence from school. Our goal is simple: we want to keep
school contact with our students. I hope, as parents, you will support
We will be prepared to re-open school on March 28th. I will be in touch with you prior to this date.
Head of School